Quinoa Summer Salad | 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon (July 2011)
We recently opened a bottle of the 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon to see how it was developing in the cellar. Although this pairing was not originally planned we were ecstatic to see how well the two worked together: it was one of those pairings where the sum was greater than the parts; the grail. The spice in the wine was really accentuated by this dish.
Recipe based upon Sunny Summer Salad: Quinoa 365, Patricia Green & Carolyn Hemming (2010)
- 1.5 cups water
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 2 cups finely diced zucchini
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup finely diced yellow bell pepper
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds (we used roasted & salted)
- 1/3 cup dried currants
- 2 tbsp minced Italian flat leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp minced cilantro
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (1-2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch of Aleppo pepper, ground cumin, and ground turmeric.
For optimal flavor use local & fresh ingredients when possible. Bring the water and quinoa to a boil, cover & simmer for 10 minutes before turning off the heat and resting for another 4 minutes. Remove cover, fluff, and allow to cool. Whisk the lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, and turmeric. Toss & serve. Buon Appetito!
- Date Published: 07/28/2011
- Categories: Mesa Cabernet Sauvignon